An Energy Group
A small group of energy enthusiasts looking at the possibilities of renewables for Wells and how to encourage and facilitate greater energy saving in our homes. Contact Maddy to join: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fracking in the Mendips
There is a local group campaigning against fracking for gas and drilling for coal bed methane in the Mendips. Further information available here.
Watt Watchers Scheme: Monitor Your energy Use and Save Money and the Environment
The Energy Group are offering you the chance to see how you’re using energy through the free loan of an energy monitor, provided by Ecotricity. These monitors are being made available exclusively for the use of residents and businesses in Wells. For more information, contact Maddy on 07515 358 413.
Harvest Share Scheme
A community supported agriculture scheme at Rodney Stoke. £45 per month full share, £28 per month half share. Delicious, locally grown organic vegetables provided as a veg box scheme. Drop off point in Wells on a Tuesday evening. Contact Lauenna for further details. 07826 244 845
Sustainable Communities Act Task Force
Transition Wells was instrumental in encouraging Mendip District Council to opt in to the Sustainable Communities Act.
We have since formed a task force to put forward proposals to Government via the local strategic partnership.
We are also keeping an eye on the new Localism Bill and how this might help us. However, TRansition is primarily about localisation, rather than localism. See this blog post from Rob Hopkins about the differences bwteen the two.
We support our local economy and buy from local, independent retailers. Please consider joining the Wells Loyalty League,
Other things we’d like to do next:
- Have a “Make Do and Mend” Day
- Start a “Grow Veg Anywhere” scheme, just like in Incredible Edible Todmorden. Contact Lucy for further details.
- Have a breadmaking day using ingredients form local sources. Learn about the health, environmental and economic benefits of baking your own.
- Arrange for an energy consultant to advise us on the possibilities for renewable energy sources in and around Wells.
- Have a stall at Summer Fairs in the area to promote awareness of the issues around climate change and peak oil and the possibilities for local solutions.
- Campaign to improve public transport links.
- Start a car club in Wells.
Do let us know your ideas and how you can help.
To be kept informed of developments, please subscribe to our free email newsletter (top right of this page).